Cucumbers with the seeds scooped out and filled with hummus, avocado, carrots, tomatoes, onion and sprouts. So refreshing, healthy and light and an easy low-carb, low-sodium, gluten-free, alternative to bread.
This is a quick, 5-minute lunch idea. I love the idea of using cucumbers in place of bread as a sort of garden “baguette”. You can fill them with anything you would put on a sandwich – tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad or even cold cuts.
I got this idea from the Low-So Good Cookbook which features recipes for low sodium diets. Since bread tends to be high in sodium, it’s an easy swap not just for the sodium conscience but also for gluten-free, low-carb, egg-free, and dairy-free diets.
Veggie Hummus Cucumber Boats
5 Smart Points
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cucumber, cut in half lengthwise
- 6 tbsp hummus
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup sprouts
- 1/4 cup tomato
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 3 oz avocado, sliced (1/2 med haas)
- wedge of fresh lemon, squeezed
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Scoop the seeds out of a cucumber using a metal measuring spoon. Fill each boat with 3 tbsp hummus. Top with the remaining vegetables and finish with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Yield: 2 servings, Serving Size: 1 half
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 5
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 183
- Total Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 178.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 6g
Original Source: Veggie Hummus Cucumber Boats